Workers excavate a section of the Erie Canal through solid rock west of Lockport, New York, using hand tools, blasting powder, and horse-powered wooden cranes. This 6-mile stretch took almost four years to complete and was the last part of the canal to open. The date is June 15, 1824.
Printed with fade-resistant pigmented inks on Moab Lasal Photo Matte heavy-weight (230g, 9.5-mil), neutral white, acid-free, archival paper. Image size is 20 inches wide by 12 inches high. Frame is 1-1/4 inch Italian Prime Open Grain Walnut, 24 inches wide by 16 inches wide, with a 2-inch wide white mat. Finished frame is glazed with conservation reflection control acrylic glass.